Flick Pick: Mad Max: Fury Road

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I'm planning to post a list of movies that both girls and boys will like. Like a movie list of films that you and your special someone (or your dad/brothers) will approve--everyone happy. Because generally women veer away from Action films. I am open for little doses of it time to time as long as the plot's good and people don't just shoot other people just because they like it.

One of the movies I plan to put on my list is Mad Max: Fury Road. I don't know anything about the story and the movie except that it stars Charlize Theron. Even Tom Hardy who played the main guy, Max Rockatansky is unfamiliar to me. Upon research I found out he played Bane in The Dark Knight Rises--but he has a mask there so. I read few reviews some people wrote which thankfully did not contain any spoilers and all of them are pretty good. One even claimed that Mad Max may be the greatest film of 2015. I decided to give it a try but lowered my expectations. I'm not a fan of Charlize Theron after all. 

Turns out this isn't the first Mad Max movie. It's a franchise created by George Miller and all 4 movies were directed by him as well. Much like how Christopher Nolan directed the Dark Knight movies.

The first Mad Max movie was released in 1979 followed by Mad Max 2 (1981) and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985). All three were top-billed by Mel Gibson until he passed Max's character to Tom Hardy in this 2015 film.




Here's a collage of all 4 Mad Max posters. (Tina Turner?!)

I won't bother telling you about the first 3 films. Haven't gotten around watching those yet (not sure if I'll even bother to tell you honestly). The movie follows the story of a former Police, Max Rockatansky and how he and the rest of the world has gone absolutely mad. Mad Max is set in a future where everything is lost and destroyed. The world is a hopeless wasteland destroyed by pollution, global warming and perhaps war. Everything is controlled by those who have guns, bullets, gasoline and water. It's just desert everywhere. 

And the characters. I love their names. Maybe this is what inspired the characters' names in Taylor Swift's Bad Blood video.

Tom Hardy as Max

Charlize Theron as Imperator Furiosa

Hugh Keays-Byrne as Immortan Joe


Immortan Joe's wives starring Zoe Kravitz as Toast the Knowing, Riley Keough as Capable, Abbey Lee as The Dag, Courtney Eaton as Cheedo the Fragile and the gorgeous Rosie Huntington-Whitely as The Splendid Angharad (Joe's favorite wife)



 Ang galing ng direction. The first few minutes pa lang will really get your attention. In some action movies, I get bored of all the shooting that I stop paying attention but the stunts won't bore you, and the movie runs for 2 hours! 

I also like how Miller portrayed the women here. A little spoiler though: Furiosa helped the wives escape the Citadel away from Immortan Joe who only keeps the ladies for himself (like the water)--they're like breeders, baby-makers, turning his sons into future super soldiers for his army. Good choices though. They were like Greek Goddesses. I'm straight but even my jaw dropped just a little when I saw them. Haha! 
They left a message saying: We are not things! Our babies will not be warlords. And another one asking: "Who killed the world?" Miller gave women voices and really significant roles--ala fierce Amazonians like Charlize's role as Furiosa. Graaabee! She did crazy good playing her role. I can never imagine her with that hair and doing action but she pulled it off splendidly. I now have more respect for her. This is the first Charlize Theron film I ever really liked. Parang mas bida pa siya kesa ke Mad Max! Teehee.

The movie will also teach you to care more about the environment. I'll let the movie tell you more about it. With all the shooting and big cars, it really is a legit action movie but what's more, it is a movie with message.

George Miller already announced that there will be a next Mad Max film entitled Wasteland. I'm already looking forward to watching it on the big screen. Watch Fury Road too and let me know how you like it below. :)




You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an old school Mad Max fan, I’ve been sceptical about Fury Road.
    I’m not sure how it will compare to the well-oiled machine that is Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, but after reading your review I’m looking forward to catching it on Blu-ray.

    ReplyDelete