Flick Pick: Silong Review

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Better late than never, guys. I promised a movie review on my last post but something (good) came up. I'll tell you all about it next time. 


This year, my bff Gibbo and I got a daily pass for movie screenings on August 14, Friday. A Cinemalaya daily pass gives you access to 4 films. Unfortunately, we were disappointed with the first two movies. But we had no other choice. He was tired from work the following day and I had a job interview the day before so we agreed not to watch any films with subtitles (i.e. international/non-english). Yung hindi na papahirapan ang mga utak namin, or else makakatulog talaga kami. We settled for a local film. And surprise, surprise, it's a Visayan film--with subtitles! 


We were pleasantly surprised with the 3rd film, the first Sinag Maynila's winner for Best Picture, Imbisibol. Mmmm.. Ang cinematography! The movie really deserved the award. It will really propel Sinag Maynila as one of the country's best film festivals. In fact, hinakot niya all the major awards. (Oops, I think I better do a separate post for this one. Teehee.)

Silong is this year's Cinemalaya closing film and it also did not disappoint. It is directed by singer-turned-director Jeffrey Hidalgo which he co-directed with Roy Sevilla Ho who also wrote the screenplay. 


We were fortunate enough to be watching at the premiere of the film. Premiere, because of course, it's not yet shown in any cinemas nor any other film festivals. 


Daily pass also means we get Orchestra seats. Yeyyy us!



That's Atty. Lorna Kapunan photobombing my ticket right there.

So sorry for the quality of pictures. Yan lang po ang kaya ng digicam ko. I really, really tried. Chos. :)


L-R: Producer, Anastacio Angelo Santos and Directors Jeffrey Hidalgo and Roy Sevilla Ho



Rhian Ramos' loooong legs (she deserves the extra o's) with Guji Lorenzana on (our) left and Papa Piolo Pascual on the right.




Piolo will not leave you wanting in his portrayal of a seemingly languid doctor, Miguel Cascarro who is recovering from the loss of his wife Caroline, played by the pretty, Angel Jacob. Miguel was content in his solitary life when he crossed paths with Rhian's character, the mysterious and gorgeous Valerie. He rescued the bloodied lady and nursed her back to health, well he did  more than nurse her back to health, if you know what I mean. The question is, who's the real villain? Who is the real victim? This is really not your typical Filipino horror. I repeat, Filipino--with the Filipino formula. The climax will keep you guessing. They directed the scenes beautifully that each one will build up until you reach a very twisted ending that I know only but a few of you will be able to predict. Watching the movie feels like looking for something but you don't know what it is, and then eventually the finding "it" towards the end. There were moments when I was at the edge of my seat or covering my eyes. (Sounds good to you now? Teehee.)

We're all tired of actors' saying "Ibang (insert actors name here) ang makikita niyo dito." Yeah, right. But it is true. The film showcases a different Piolo and Rhian. You'll think Piolo's role is typical of him in the beginning but you will find that his character will slowly unravel throughout the film. I am in love with Rhian's role. Okay, tiny bit of a spoiler: my favorite part was when she rapped. Yes! But I won't tell you why and what she's doing WHILE rapping because that part is more exciting. 

The film has 2 directors. I would have loved it if it was directed by one. Although you can't tell which scene is directed by whom (which can either be good or bad). Good, because the flow of the entire film has one direction. Bad, in a sense that I'm one of those film viewers who loves to observe a director's style. Like you know if a movie is a Brilliante Mendoza or an Antoinette Jadaone or a Marilou Diaz-Abaya. Much like hearing a song for the first time on the radio, without any introductions and you immediately know who the singer is. Just like that. But other than that, I rate the movie a 4 out of 5. It was shown commercially this month but was pitted against another critically-lauded film, Heneral Luna which I will do a review on my next post. I should've posted this review sooner. Silong also deserves a longer time in the cinemas. But in spite of that, I think indie films are getting more and more attention these days and I'm happy about that. Don't you just hate people who complain about "bobong movie goers" and that Filipinos could do better than just mainstream movies BUT at the same time hate it when an indie festival gets crowded? Nag-iisip na ang mga Pilipinong manonood. Sa wakas. 






You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I wish I could have been among the fortunate few to see Silong at Cinemalaya. Hopefully I will experience it soon. We can discuss it after. :)

    ReplyDelete