Sincerely yours, The Breakfast Club

Monday, July 15, 2013




"We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. But we think you're crazy to ask us to make an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us. In the simplest terms, in the most convenient of definitions." -Brian, The Breakfast Club 

I've been curious about The Breakfast Club since I heard about it in (ta-dah!) Pitch Perfect with Jesse gushing about how it is one of the best musically scored movies of all time. (Queue music: "Don't you forget about me...") 
I didn't expect much from it though. The plot's really a cliche of what a typical high school is. We have five kids from different cliques spending one Saturday of detention. The setting just revolved with all five inside the library and the whole movie is all about the 8-hours they spent inside and where they weren't allowed to eat, sleep or even study. So there's Claire (the princess), Andy (the Sporty), Brian (the Brain), Allison (the Basketcase/the emo kid) and Bender (the criminal/the rebel). 
You'll find that the first few minutes of the film involved a lot of fighting between Bender, Claire and Andy. Out of shared boredom, they bonded over smoking pot that Bender sneaked in the library. With shared stories about why they're in detention and their troubled family life, the story ended with all of them being friends. 
Predictable as the story is, I think many can relate to the story. Not fitting in, academic and peer pressure and not knowing what it is that you really want for yourself. 

I can't even place myself on what clique I belong to when I think about high school. I'm not the prom princess or one of the "It" girls, I am not a rebel or emo and certainly don't make an effort or show concern about keeping straight A's. I'm so normal it's weird. I am just me. Simple, regular and average. 


A scene that got me was when Brian asked what’ll happen on Monday when they get back to their own friends and groups to which Claire answered in all honesty, “No.” They weren’t going to be friends come Monday. They have to get back to their crowd and will eventually ignore each other.

See? That’s why Don’t you forget about me makes real sense. Especially the line: “When you walk on by will you call my name?” It’s because of that scene. It’s because of Monday—Monday they may never be friends anymore. On Monday, they may say hi to each other but call the other names after the other passes by because they’re afraid of what their “friends” might think.

Movies nowadays have OST’s na sobrang layo sa theme ng movie. Now I understand why Jesse said this movie has one of the best musical scores of all time.

Anyway, that scene made me think about my high school days. I don’t know, this was American High School and an American movie. Where I come from, I became friends with different kinds of people. I wanted variety. Feeling ko nabo-bobo ako if I hang out with just one group. I think you can learn so many things by interacting with different kinds of people.

Gasgas na pero “Don’t judge the book by its cover.” Everything and everyone change after high school. Yung mga akala mong walang future, they’re doing good for themselves now. I may not be close to some of them but I’m happy for the good changes in their lives. Some of us are accountants, still studying (for Masters, Law, Medicine or whatever), teachers, engineers, cooks or architects. Many of in our batch are even moms and dads to their darling kids now and high school sounds like ages ago.
I enjoyed my high school life. My best and closest friends are from the same high school as well.
So it saddens me when I hear the news about bullying, suicide and all that with kids these days. I hope they find it in their young mind and hearts that you are not defined by how you look like, the group you belong to, grades and most certainly not by number of ex’s you had. Over the years, you’ll learn that you do not know it all and that there’s still so much to learn.
In the end what I’m really thankful about high school are the friends I’d kept over the years. Knowing I have people who were there and will be there when I needed them to be.  

Anyway I give it a 3.5 over 5. The director, waited for a good timing to present the vulnerable side of the characters. It was written by the late John Hughes who also wrote another film that's close to my "kiddie" heart--Home Alone and Home Alone 2 -Lost in New York. He's good in making the audience fall in love with the characters. 

Would I recommend The Breakfast Club? Surely! Go watch it and reminisce about your own high school days. J

You Might Also Like

0 comments