Poetry and Music Night at Sev's

Saturday, October 24, 2015

It was a night filled with music and poetry infused with so much hugot last night (October 23) at Sev's Cafe. The whole place was jampacked with music and poetry lovers (can I just collectively call us art lovers instead?). I know many of us came for the poetry, but I think people were more drawn to it because of the night's theme, Naliligaw: Para sa mga naghahanap, hinahanap at pagod nang maghanap organized by The Artidope. Everyone can relate. I mean, how can you not?


I almost changed my mind about going since I know I'll be late since Sev's located in front of CCP and I'll be coming straight out of work from Ortigas, so hello traffic. And my best friends cancelled out on me. I was disappointed but I did the grown up thing to do, let it go and tried to look for someone else who can keep me company that night, preferably who loves words as much as I do. Nothing's better than having someone you can gush with after a night like that, much like how you want someone to critique movies after watching them. And kumusta ka naman kung manonood ka ng Poetry Night na ganito ang theme tapos more hugot ka ALONE. Damang-dama mo siguro yung feels.  

Luckily, I found the right person in my friend Carrie whom I haven't seen for years and she said yes immediately. The place was so full, I had to stand up for an hour while waiting for Carrie and we sat down on the floor near the stage for the next few hours. But it was worth it. All the poets were good. It was just my second poetry mic night. Poetry in the Philippines is really flourishing with the help of venues like Sev's who really cater indie events and indie performers. Who knew poetry reading is also a performance art? You don't just read it. Some of them had musical instruments (mainly chimes) for added drama. 

I love writing short stories or essays but I have a really hard time writing poetry. Words just doesn't seem to flow as easily as it does when writing fiction. I guess that's because writing a poem takes so much out of you emotionally. It's something that is really out of your experiences, your heart. It's your truth. And I have a problem letting all the feels out. That's where my problem lies, my poems are stark reflection of who I am inside. As much as I want to write and share it to others who'd care to listen, I'm scared to be vulnerable on stage. I'm actually scared to really be out there. I can get too intense and passionate, baka mapaiyak pa ako sa stage (I might cry on stage). Haha! Because I'm a pusong mamon like that.



Above is a photo of the happy crowd who gamely cheered on the poets. They applauded and hooted at the right moments. "Walang forever" was heard several times during the show. It was the kind of crowd that is easy to please and were so supportive that you'll want to please them all the more. 

I had so many favorite moments that night but one of the most memorable one was when a guy who goes by the name Rock6, performed. He sang acapella and rapped. Sounds pretty regular right? But I think he has autism or something like that--I'm not sure, but my point is back to the crowd. It was heartwarming how they were so supportive of the guy. There were no weird looks. Everyone cheered him on. He was a little out of tune when he sang, but man oh man, he rapped like a pro! There was a loud applause and appreciative comments everywhere. I love this crowd! 

There were performances from poets from The Artidope, White Wall Poetry and many more. After all the official line-up was done, open mic was next. People sign up prior or during the show and you get to perform after the official line-up. The night was capped off by a performer from Sev's Cafe itself. I forgot his name but the guy deserves to be famous, even only if viral famous. He was one of Sev's staff, dishwasher I think. At first we didn't pay attention but he was also such a good rapper. Hindi mo talaga aakalain. I'm not into rap but that guy has a talent stringing words together. He's very impressive. Unfortunately, like all others I have a tendency to underestimate others and I'm sorry for that. But I love how people surprise me and I find out every so often that talent can come from any one, from people with different kinds of background.

Here are some other photos from the event. 


Above is Karlen Fajardo, she writes music and poetry. It was my second time to watch her. I had to get used to her "style" of performing. But I warmed up to it after. She can get too emotional. She is a living, breathing freakin' feelings. In short, she is feelings personified. In her performance, she threw her ex's mementos (bus/movie tickets etc) on the stage and removed her shirt (yes!) after. Such a brave thing to do in front of so many people. Hehe. I really searched for her Facebook page. Now I'm a fan. I want to be your friend Karlen! Haha. Don't worry about the litter, she picked the stuff off the floor after her performance. Heehee. Her band, The Theobromine is just as awesome. She just played solo when I first watched her on another event that was 90's kids themed. Appreciated her songs more with the band especially with a violinist. One of her original songs were so catchy, the crowd sang with her as well. Hello naman kasi the chorus lyrics were like: "F!^% you, magsama kayo mga walang hiya..". Much like Lily Allen's. Sweet melody but tough lyrics this song was. 












Carrie and I were talking about joining the open mic night. Well, soon for her but someday for me. Heehee. I'm sure I'll get more nights like these. Join me? 


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. The dishwasher/rapper guy was actually rapping about his life and his experiences. It must've been an original for sure. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. He was so good. I loved that he took advantage of the opportunity to perform. He looked "glowing", happy and proud of himself after. He should be. People like him should have moments like that. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it was a great night, and you're right talent can come from the most surprising places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and the comment. True, I love surprising myself with the unexpected.

      Delete
  3. The other guy's name is Rock6. He is directly under Sr. Aris (Gloc-9)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your info! Already edited that part.

      Delete