Flick Pick: Erik Matti's BuyBust Review

Sunday, August 05, 2018




It's been a while since I have written a review for Flick Pick and this one I really loved! I follow Anne Curtis on Instagram and her bloody selfies got me curious about her then-upcoming film, BuyBust. Erik Matti has always been one of my favorite Filipino directors so I had a feeling that it would be great. I know better than to expect anything high of any film because I don't want to leave the cinema full of regrets but fortunately, Matti's BuyBust did not disappoint. Even better, it exceeded all my expectations.

Watching the trailer got me impressed. I figured it would be a good primer before Cinemalaya. So a week before I watch Cinemalaya, I decided to watch BuyBust in SM Clark.  Only after watching it did I found out that it was Cinemalaya's opening film! 

Buybust had a strong start introducing its main characters. Anne Curtis' Agent Nina Manigan was recruited by PDEA Team Leader Bernie Lacson (Victor Neri) to be part of his team after a botched operation that left Manigan's previous team slaughtered with only her as the sole survivor. Their team was tasked with capturing a big-time drug lord, Biggie Chen (Arjo Atayde) with the help of an asset (Alex Calleja). Biggie Chen asked them to move from the original rendezvous point to Brgy. Gracia ni Maria where the entire operation fell apart. From capturing a big-time drug lord, their only task now is to get out of Gracia ni Maria--alive. 

First, let me commend the production design. The labyrinthine slum of a barangay made for the perfect setting for the entire movie. It took the zombie apocalypse theme to a whole new level. The whole movie noticeably lacks dialogue for all the characters but for a good reason, because the action scenes will keep you on the edge of your seats. To be totally honest, I did not expect a film like this to star Anne Curtis. I love her in all her romcoms and all but an action movie? Yes, finally an action movie. You can see the hard work she's put in in all of her scenes. I loved Matti's direction of how the cameras followed her as she kicks ass from one alley to another. Her action stunts were flawless. 

Another performance that pleasantly surprised me is from Brandon Vera. He was like gentle giant fighting foes of all shapes and sizes throughout the film. I found myself rooting for his character, Rico Yatco as he fought to stay alive and smiled during lighter moments when he kisses his "lucky charm" or anting-anting everytime he is almost killed. 

I have so many favorite scenes, too! (Spoiler warning!) Like the scene where he and other barangay settlers got electrocuted and he still managed to stay alive and the other one when he beheaded that annoying woman trying to gouge his eyes! But one of my favorite scenes were from Manigan and Biggie Chen. From the moment Arjo's character was revealed until the very end of the movie you'll find how brilliant Arjo Atayde is. He is the film's secret weapon. Not knowing the whole plot at first, I initially thought that Arjo was one of the PDEA officers. I did not know what to expect because in my eyes, he is much too young too be an actual drug lord. But man was I impressed when I finally saw him on the screen. You will know what I'm talking about when you watch it. 

The musical score was very witty. From the Lupang Hinirang to that Bisaya song during Anne and Arjo's fight scenes were on-point. The entire cast has their own moments to shine as well on each of their scenes. I also loved that the director utilized a variety of weapons from machine guns, pistols, and knives to bare hands.

The film is based on the on-going drug war in the Philippines but good thing I left that thought behind as I entered the cinema and enjoyed the movie as it is--a film. To be honest, I only noticed the film's political undertones towards the end and in my humble opinion, it was not biased and provided a voice to everyone involved in this drug war which is--everyone. It was not only a fight between the government (PDEA agents) versus the drug syndicate but the innocent lives that became collateral damage. The whole film became a game of survival for the agents as they are caught between the drug gang and furious Gracia ni Maria residents. Everyone is against PDEA's team. Even if I am anti-EJK, towards the very end, I am not even sure which side to choose. Certainly, not the drug dealers, of course. But in the film, you'll find that even young children and women are taught how to fight and even use a gun. How can you not shoot and fight back when you are fighting to stay alive? It is to kill or be killed. I noticed in one scene when Manigan fought off residents who are coming after her, that it moved from Christians to Muslims. That was one of the scenes where the reality really hit hard--that everyone is affected by the drug war. Only in the film, people are so frustrated about getting caught in between that they fought back. They just didn't care anymore. The film may have gotten a mixed reaction from its viewers but Buybust tried its best to get its message across. Some might even say that there are too many poor people killed in the movie. First, the film may have exaggerated it a bit because of the prolonged action scenes. It is after all, for the sake of art. Second, you will see why in the end when the film ended with an aerial shot of Brgy. Gracia ni Maria showing all those who died from the Buybust operation in their small barangay, moving towards a more quiet and peaceful neighborhood just beside it onto the more distant skyscrapers towering the city while the audience hear the sound of a reporter downgrading the number of dead people from the buy-bust operation from clearly a probable hundreds to just 13. THIRTEEN. Won't that make you question your level of privilege? That while we sleep soundly in our homes within a village with 24/7 security, there are people who can't help but stay awake and wait for the sound of guns to quiet down. Life is not equal at may mga tao talagang kinalimutan na ng lipunan. 

The film will have you rooting for the PDEA officers at first, but in the end, you'll find that they are screwed over by the more corrupt "powers that be" that ironically, they have to answer to. So no, it does not in any way justify EJK but Buybust will show you the bigger picture.

How was the entire movie in summary? Let me just say this: I stopped myself from going to the comfort room just in case I miss any scenes AND I did not even yawn or look at the time.

Buybust is one of those movies when the film is actually as good as the trailer. I highly recommend watching it while it's out on the theaters because it is not just a film, it is a whole different experience. Erik Matti truly elevated Filipino action films to a whole new level. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments