FINALLY! I Got My First COVID Vaccine Shot.

Tuesday, June 22, 2021



It's been more than a year since the pandemic happened. I can't imagine things going back to normal without us needing to wear face masks or being able to gather with family and friends for special occasions. These days, even eating out IS an occasion. Thankfully, I see light at the end of this seemingly long tunnel. Friends, I have finally gotten my first jab of the COVID-19 vaccine. 

It's a life-changing and historical moment for me, and I guess for most of us who's gotten the vaccine which is why I want to document it here on my online platform. I'm not used to blogging anymore that I don't know where to start. Plus, I'm feel like I have a bit of a brain fog after taking the vaccine. As early as now, please forgive me if my thoughts are all over the place. Haha!

Registration

I registered in Manila through www.manilacovid19vaccine.ph last December of 2020. As soon as they announced the website, I registered right away. I'm not sure if I want to take the vaccine. I was hesitant, of course. It's a new vaccine. But what I'm sure of is that if I change my mind and decide to get it anyway, at least I've already registered. I also signed my parents up as early as December. They were really my priority since they both have comorbidities.  

Notification

My papa was the first to receive a text from Manila LGU last May for his first dose since he is a senior citizen and with comorbidity. He got Astra Zeneca. Next one was my mama a few weeks after. She got Sinovac. This June, I finally got a text that as part of A5 category (people who work onsite), I can now take my first dose. I am getting Sinovac. 

My Vaccination Story

Honestly, I don't trust this China-manufactured vaccine. Can you blame me if I think the pandemic was all their fault? Then I thought, what's done is done and let's all just focus on solutions than going in circles around the problem. The moment mama received her first jab of Sinovac, I've read several articles about it and was pleased to find out that it is generally safe and is proven effective according to different countries who used it. Also, the sooner you get vaccinated, the better. 

I work onsite everyday and I'm always worried about my siblings who I live with who might get it from me if I get it outside. When I get home, I have this routine: change clothes, do steam inhalation (suob -- which I do every other day), gargle warm water and salt, rest a bit, and take a shower. I don't go straight to sleep no matter how tired I am. 

I was at work when I first received a text on June 13, 2021 notifying me of my first dose schedule on the 14th. Yes, they only text a day before just like they did to my mama and papa. It's like they expect you to cancel all your plans the next day for the vaccine. Initially, I thought the text as for my mom so I sent her the screenshot. Only then did I get to really read it and saw that it was for me. It was my schedule. Finally, I thought. I didn't expect for my category to get a schedule this soon because I thought they're going to wait for all the other categories, especially the seniors and those with comorbidities to get their second doses. 

I work on a night shift so I was hesitant of going to the vaccination site without any sleep. I'm really having second thoughts about going. I decided to read the comments on Mayor Isko Moreno's Facebook page and it confirmed what I was already thinking. Everything was a disorganized mess. In some sites, people lined up as early as 11 p.m.! That's as soon as they receive the text. The vaccination sites for the A5 category were these malls: SM Manila, SM San Lazaro, Lucky Chinatown Mall, and Robinson's Place Ermita. The Manila LGU alloted 2,500 vials of vaccine for each site. Most people lined up at 3 a.m. and malls declared a cut-off at around 5 a.m. Grabe! 5 am, nasa work pa 'ko non.

Unfortunately, I've also read about barangay officials letting their family and friends cut lines. People who didn't even register online were let in. The comments section blew up from all the complaints. I decided to just sleep it off and wait for the next available schedule. I don't want to waste my time going there only to find out that I didn't make it to the cut-off. 

They texted the following day for a schedule on the 15th but reading the same comments, I decided not to go. 

Finally, on a Sunday, I received another text notification for a schedule on the 21st, the next day. I'm hopeful about my chances since Sunday is my day off, I got plenty of rest and sleep. The Manila LGU changed their policy of letting walk-ins in and announced that they would only allow those with a text message of June 21 schedule to be let in the site. 

Vaccination Day

I arrived in Robinson's Place Manila and was at the vaccination site at around 12:45 pm. There were no lines at all! Well, I was 3rd in line. Haha. There were several people arguing with the guards and staff because they weren't allowed inside. The text must specifically state that you are scheduled for June 21, 2021. No other dates would do. 


Station 1

In station 1, they only asked to check the text message that I got, my company I.D. and if I have my waiver and vaccination ID with Q.R. code with me. I had them printed already, but I found out they can just scan the Q.R. code from your phone and they can hand you a printed waiver to fill out if you don't have one. It only took me 5 minutes and then I moved to the next station. For the next station, a doctor asked me about my medical history. I was worried about my hyperthyroid and she asked me if I got a blood transfusion before. I said I got a plasma transfusion when I got dengue in 2011. I don't have any comorbidity so she cleared me to proceed to the next station.

I thought they were going to check my vitals on the next station since the other doctor only asked questions, but no. One doctor scanned my Q.R. code. I saw a bunch of injections on his table, so I asked, "Wow, Doc. Akala ko B.P lang, may blood work din pala?!" The other doctor in front of me told me, "No, ma'am. Ito na po yung vaccine niyo. Sinovac po tayo." I said what?! Wait. You didn't even check my blood pressure. I even mentioned that I'm having a little bit of anxiety over getting vaccinated. The guy doctor told me to calm down because my blood pressure might shoot up so he handed the lady doctor a sphygmomanometer and she took my B.P. reading. Then she said, "Ma'am, normal na normal po. Tuloy na tuloy na po ang vaccine niyo." Haha. They were very comforting and reiterated what I already know, that vaccines are safe and it will help with herd immunity which I am all for. I saw the needle was big but the lady doctor was fast. All in all the entire process, from checking the requirements until my actual vaccination, only took more or less 15 to 20 minutes. 

I was directed to another area to take a seat and observe myself for 15 minutes to see if I feel anything unusual. They gave a talk to all of us waiting about the common side effects of the vaccine such as slight fever, headache and minor rashes. We were asked to immediately report if we have huge bumps or rashes and shortness of breath because that would mean we are allergic to the vaccine and it is life-threatening. I did not feel anything except for pain in the injection site. 

Going Home and a Day After

It was a rainy Monday in Manila so there's a huge chance of traffic during rush hour so after a short stroll around the mall, I went home. I was still a little bit worried so I prayed the rosary on the way home. Thankfully, I still wasn't feeling any pain hours after the injection. But I was feeling really drowsy, like I would feel after taking anti-allergy medication. I didn't know what other effects I'm going to feel so I reported to work that I just had the vaccine and I took the night off to rest. 

The morning after, I still feel drowsy but I am not experiencing any headache so I'm really thankful. My arm feels normal and there is no more pain in the vaccination site. 

I have to go back in July for my second dose. The vaccine will be most beneficial at around 2 weeks after the second dose. 





The atmosphere was very light while we were at the observation area after our first dose. Everyone was asking each other about how they're feeling, did they line up days before etc. We were taking pictures of each other's arms. Haha. I guess it's safe to say that we are all relieved of finallly having been vaccinated and that we've taken a step to "freedom". 

I now have more peace of mind going home and being out and about. I still have to wear a facemask though but that's okay. Hopefully, soon I, we, can all get together again. I miss travel so much. I miss travel again, even if it's just Baguio. Airplanes? Definitely, but not so soon. It's something that I'm definitely looking forward to. 

I'll update you guys on my social media stories (which what I do mostly nowadays) if anything comes up. For now, I urge you to get vaccinated once you get a schedule. Do it not only for  yourselves but for your loved ones, too. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments