Sweet Talk

Wednesday, October 01, 2008




What does Yella do when she's down and low? Well, I guess from my previous blog I already told you that I'm not the one who easily cry (yes, even when broken hearted...) I therefore, either have a DVD marathon or call a friend to watch a movie. But, I never fail to bring my instant upper to the cinema...

(Ten-tenen-nen!) CHOCOLATES! Yep. Love 'em. It really makes me feel good. 'Coz you see, I got the sweet tooth from my dad (and he's a diabetic!). Naman diba? That's why I try my best not to give in to stress, kasi tataba ako! haha! ;p

Anyway I've research a couple of info about these yummy treats:
  • They were disovered by Christopher Colombus in 1502 in the Carribean Island of Guanaja. Aztecs from the island offered him cocoa beans in exhange for trade goods. (www.neuhaus-chocolates.com)
  • Its scientific name is Theobroma cacao.
And hey! You can benefit from eating chocolates as well!
* Theobromine, which stimulates the central nervous system, facilitates muscular exertion, acts as a diuretic and appetite stimulant.
* Caffeine, which increases resistance to fatigue, intellectual activity, and watchfulness.
* Phenylethylamine, which is the chemical released in our bodies when we fall in love and is chemically similar to amphetamines, therefore acting as a psycho-stimulant. (now we know why suitors give chocolates to girls! there's a *medical* history pala!Ü)
* Tryptophan, an essential amino acid that increases the production of serotonin, an anti-depressant and natural stress-reducer. In fact, a decrease in serotonin levels in the brain may trigger cravings for starches, sweet foods and chocolate. (see? anti-stress!)
* Endorphins, natural opiates that are released by the brain in increased amounts when eating chocolate, thereby elevating one's mood and reducing pain.<--emotional hehe.="" pain="" span="">

* Phenols,which are also found in red wine, tea, fruits and vegetables, and may help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
* Catechins, which are antioxidants that may help protect the body against cardiovascular disease and possibly cancer, are found in substantially higher quantities in chocolate than in black tea.
* Anandamide, which mimics the effects of marijuana by acting on the same brain receptors, resulting in a very mild "high". Plus, chocolate has two ingredients that inhibit the natural breakdown of anandamide and hence may prolong the feeling of well-being. (note: nakaka-"high" lang daw ang chocolate if the intake is like, 350 g.--woah! dami na nun eh! )

So guys, why not take a break sometime and have a Kitkat, ermm, I mean grab your favorite chocolate bar. Sit back, relax, forget all your worries and enjoy that sweet creamy goodness. Bon appetit.=)

You Might Also Like

0 comments